Friday, July 1, 2011

Exchange 2010 HTML Mailbox Size Report

Not the prettiest thing in the world but gets the job done by printing each user's mailbox size & total items into a HTML table:

get-mailbox -database "Mailbox Database 1706745955" | get-mailboxstatistics  | where {$_.objectclass -eq "Mailbox"} | sort-object totalitemsize -descending | select-object @{label="User";expression={$_.DisplayName}},@{label=
"Total Size (MB)";expression={$_.TotalItemSize.Value.ToMB()}},@{label="Items";expression={$_.ItemCount}}  | convertto-html | out-file report.htm

May need to modify the mailbox database name.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Windows Vista Update Error 0x80072EFD

Could not update Vista SP1 due to 0x80072EFD error, so I started out by manually updating to SP2.  No success.  This was driving me absolutely insane until I actually read the C:\windows\windowsupdate.log file.

First, try resetting the HTTP proxy through an elevated command prompt with the following command:

netsh winhttp show proxy

If you are still receiving this error, be sure you follow this KB:

If this does not resolve the problem, try resetting Windows Update Components with the following Microsoft Fix It:

If this still does not work, be sure that WSUS GPO & registry settings are NOT in place!

First check GPO:

Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Update, under the setting "Configure automatic updates."  If this is already set to "Not configured," then check registry settings under:


For any WSUS keys.  Deleting the WSUS keys I found in the registry remediated my issue.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Android Corporate Exchange Setup - Username or Password Incorrect

I spent a lot of time ensuring ActiveSync was working properly for a client on Exchange 2010--they have a lot of iPhones and I wanted to be sure everything top-notch.

When attempting to activate a Motorola Droid 2 with the Exchange server, I kept receiving the error "Username or password incorrect" despite the fact that the username & password were both in fact correct.  I was also unable to enter a server name no matter what.

I managed to solve the issue by entering a completely incorrect email address ( before finally being prompted for the server.  After entering the FQDN of the mail server, I was able to successfully authenticate the account.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Exchange 2010 - Can't Download OAB

During a migration from Exchange 2007->Exchange 2010, I could not figure out why my OAB would not download after deleting & re-creating it.

Originally, we were having an issue where Outlook 2003 clients would throw "Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F): "The operation failed.  An object could not be found." when attempting to send/receive.  I tracked the issue down to the OAB after a short Google search. 

Our OAB virtual directory was actually empty, and there was no GUID folder before I found the solution below.

When attempting to download the OAB directly from Exchange 2010, one would receive the message: "An error occurred while opening the Microsoft Exchange Offline Address Book files," and event ID 27 (source: Outlook), "The operation failed," would be recorded in the application event log.

This post provided the solution.  After running the command in Exchange Management Console on the 2010 server:


I was able to download the OAB successfully from Outlook 2010.